Thursday 16 April 2020

David Roland


Dave Roland

What can I say that hasn’t been said,
In relation to the ninety six dead,
At Hillsborough under “Blazing sunshine”,
On April fifteen, nineteen eighty nine,
Where, amidst the tragedy, Dave Owen tried,
To save the life of a young man who died?

I didn’t know Dave, but I would have liked to;
He seemed like the kind of person who,
Had a positive effect upon everyone,
Was “Youthful, unique, kindhearted and fun”,
And, in the words of his daughter, Michelle,
Made “People feel good about themselves” as well.

By all accounts, he was an excellent man;
I read that he was a Bowie fan;
And nurses, in their “Compassionate” way,
Played Bowie tunes by the bed, where he lay,
And those angels, I read, with every song,
Turned up the volume and sang along.

Dave Roland, who passed away recently,
Was a Man completely unknown to me,
But reading his story, I understood,
That he helped people, and made them feel good;
An example to others, definitely,
And indeed, “That should be his Legacy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!