Wednesday 28 October 2020

Private Island

 

 

Private Island

 

Kim Kardashian had a health screen;

Asked everyone to quarantine,

And after two weeks, they took a trip

To an island of private ownership,

And there her inner circle and she,

Imagined a world of normality;

They swam near whales, danced by the shore,

Kayaked, rode bikes and so much more!

Yes, a great time they had on the beach,

One for most people, far out of reach,

Humbly reminded Kim tweeted this:

“How privileged”, she said, “My life is”.

 

Her tweet rankled with me, I admit;

Made me fair jealous, more than a bit,

And then I recalled a holiday

I had with my wife in Akumal Bay:

We lounged in paradise, she and I,

Where turtles swim, pelicans fly,

Humming birds hover, iguanas creep

And crickets chirp while the jet lagged sleep.

We ate in restaurants, drank in bars,

In our resort, awarded five stars,

And for two weeks we frolicked in style;

Lived like a king and queen for a while.

 

Not far away, there was poverty;

A lowly, shanty town by the sea;

The families living there were nice;

Gave us tequila, chili and rice,

And in comparison to their need,

I felt rich and “Privileged” indeed,

But did I feel humbled? Maybe I did;

Then again, who am I trying to kid?

If I were a Kardashian peer;

A part of her closest, inner sphere;

Given an invitation to go

To paradise, I wouldn’t say no.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!