Thursday 20 April 2017

Gonzalo's dream



Gonzalo’s dream

There in a shop doorway he lies
Awake and begs of passers by
Some drop a coin but most deny
Each carries on their separate ways

As for myself, I must confess
I rarely if ever leave a coin
But rather with his thoughts I join
(Though what they are I only guess)

I put myself in his place there
And ponder how I came to be
A victim some may think of me
A consequence of life not fair?

But what’s inside is mine alone
Dropped coins I gladly will accept
I tolerate the cold and wet
And shelter of which I have none

Refusing to run the race of life
I gave up all material things
I was a puppet, but cut the strings
Lost my job, my house, my wife

And now the fortune I redeem
Is freedom from society’s woe
And when I sleep  each night I know
The beauty of Gonzalo’s dream







No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!