Saturday 3 February 2024

The Pressure of Expectation

The Pressure of Expectation

When people of my praises sing,
It’s like a magic spell;
My confidence starts wavering;
On failure I dwell.
I know not how or why this is,
But basically, it’s down to this:
I never have done well
Neath the weight of expectation,
Crushing me with trepidation.
For example, (one of many):
At fifteen years of age,
I could sprint faster than any
Classmate, in the heat stage;
Running the two hundred metres,
Like a human born of cheetahs;
My name was all the rage;
A diadem; word having spread,
Hung weightily, above my head.
A fortnight passed and sports day came,
By which time I’d become,
A legend of unworthy fame,
And worth a tidy sum:
Some pupils of a betting bent,
Considered 50p well spent,
Not knowing I’d succumb,
To a creeping anxiety,
As reader, you will shortly see.
As I approached the starting line,
I heard the boys all sing;
That overstated name of mine:
Whoa, BARRY, BARRY, KING!
Awaiting there the starter’s gun,
(Harbinger of my hapless run),
The chorus still did ring;
Thus, expectation on my case,
I, barely set, began the race.
Upon the race I will not dwell;
Positions will suffice;
Mine being last, till someone fell,
Or tripped, to be precise;
Unmindful of this saving grace,
I crossed the line in seventh place;
The faller’s sacrifice,
(Albeit unintentional),
Barely even mentionable.
And of the race’s aftermath
There isn’t much to tell;
My seventh place was met with wrath,
And mockery as well.
The speculators’, having lost
Their bets approached me for the cost;
My classmates gave me hell,
But worst of all, my self-esteem
Was overwhelmed by doubt extreme.
Don’t pity me; I’ve learned to live
With doubt, as people do;
Unease I’m mainly coping with;
Sertraline gets me through.
In truth, I really can’t complain;
I’m very happy in the main,
As I hope you are too;
And if I fail in competition,
So be it! I lack ambition!
The other day, on stage, I read
An audience winning rhyme,
And suddenly I’m well ahead;
A legend, in his prime.
My dear friends, again, I say;
When expectation comes my way,
I flounder every time;
Don’t praise me, lest I go to pot;
A living legend I am not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!