Sunday 1 January 2017

New Year


New Year’s resolution

When a boiler stops working
And the weather’s cold
A gas engineer’s worth his weight
In gold

When a car slows down
And its engine dies
A breakdown mechanic’s a sight
For sore eyes

When someone collapses
With pains in their chest
Emergency staff is
Humanity’s best

If you’re fixing a boiler
Or mending a car
It’s irrelevant to me
What your politics are
If you’re making me well
Looking after my health
I don’t care for your views
On poverty or wealth

When a tile needs replacing
And the roof has a leek
The hero of the hour
Is the builder we seek

When a lock is broken
And the door’s shut tight
The locksmith’s appearance
Is a wondrous sight

When a pipe has burst
And water pours out
A plumber’s a saviour
Of that there’s no doubt

If you’re fixing a roof
Or changing a lock
Or mending a pipe
Or unblocking a block
If you’re out on call
Any time day or night
I don’t care if you vote
For the left or the right

From today, my New Year’s
Resolution will be
To keep my mouth shut
If I don’t agree
With your point of view
Cos when all’s said and done
We all have to interact
Under the sun
And so (with my tongue
Firmly lodged in my cheek)
I pledge to be silent
(At least for a week)
About things political
All thoughts I’ll keep
To myself
As of now
From me
Not a peep








No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!